The way to seek knowledge
Question: Briefly, what is the way to seek knowledge, and may Allaah reward you with good?
Response: Briefly, in point form, the way to seek knowledge (is as follows):
1) Take care to memorise the Book of Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta’aala) and allocate some time every day to memorise and read, such that your recitation is with reflection and understanding. And if you come across a beneficial point whilst reading, then make a note of it;
2) Take care to memorise that which is easy (for you) from the authentic Sunnah of the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and from that (I recommend) memorising (the book) ((‘Umdatul-Ahkaam));
3) Take care in concentrating and confirming (whilst seeking knowledge) such that you do not take a little knowledge from here and a little from there. This is because this wastes your time and (unnecessarily) busies your mind;
4) Start with the smaller books and study them well, then move on to that which is above this (in level) until you obtain knowledge little by little in a manner which makes firm (the knowledge) in your heart and to that which you are at peace (comfortable) with;
5) Take care to understand the fundamental issues, their rules and the limits of all that passes by you, as it has been said:
((Whoever does not take care to learn the fundamentals/principles, then he has prevented (himself) from arriving at the conclusion/goal));
6) Discuss issues with your Shaykh or someone who is known for his knowledge and (practise of the) religion based upon the conditions you know. (Even if you are mentally able to discuss the issue).
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen
Kitaabul-‘Ilm – Page 119, Question 17